Thursday, September 19, 2013

Youth Room

Good morning! In all honestly it probably would've been a better morning if Buster, our 4 month old puppy, hadn't kept us up for a while last crying and barking. It was Darrell's fault (the hubs)...naturally. He can not get excited at midnight when he's taken out to potty (talking about Buster, not Darrell haha) and that includes letting him choose to stay out there and play for a while. When Buster decided he wanted back inside, he wasn't ready to sleep in his crate...it took a while to convince him that it was 3am and we needed sleep.
 
All is well. Who really needs much sleep anyways right?
 
Darrell and I have recently started having a teen class or youth service, whatever you want to call it, on Wednesday nights. We have about 8 to 10 kids, ages 10 -16. It's exciting getting to know these kids, but it's also challenging Darrell and I. We have both been in leadership positions before, have been youth pastor's and worked with kids plenty, however, this is a whole new ball game. These kids come to us with things in their past, broken homes, and struggles that I never faced as a child. I love each and every one of those kids, I really do. Darrell and I are praying that God would just give us the wisdom to teach and lead them the right way. To be good examples for them, but also friends as well as their leaders.
 
For the last few weeks, since we started the Wednesday night services, we have been in the sanctuary, the adults have their class in the spacious fellowship hall in the back. We've noticed that the big space gives these kids a lot of room to move around, a lot of distractions, and these kids do not need help in the distraction department haha. We were told that we could pick one of the Sunday school rooms that aren't being used to make into our "Youth Room". This is super exciting! A few of the kids had the idea to put couches, bean bag chairs, and things like that in the youth room to make it comfy and cool. I like the idea and the pastor agreed! YAY! We also get to paint the room chosen whatever color we want and I was given the permission to let the kids choose.
 
Now when I say "let the kids choose" I really mean I'll pick out 2 or 3 options and let them vote on those, otherwise we would never have a decision! So I immediately starting looking up options last night, I already had in mind the direction I want to go, but I need to lock down some definite colors. BTW Gray is a definite...somewhere in the room! Here are the colors and ideas I found...
 
 
 

I love this huge word on the wall, and a very powerful message


These bright colors could be fun




However I'm more partial to these colors and the ones before this




Seriously thought about doing a chalkboard wall...how cool?!


I definitely want some kind of scripture or awesome quote like this in there


I also like the idea of some cool/different lighting, but we will have to see




I'm so excited about this for our teen class. I think they are going to love it, and will love being a part of the creative process. A space of their own in the church. Doesn't every kid need that? Well let me know what you think! I hope you guys have a fantastic Thursday! 

No comments:

Post a Comment