Monday, March 25, 2013

Volleyball & 5 for Five

Wow the weekend flew by! I wish it would've lasted longer, but it was still a good weekend. My parents, sister, & BIL came over Saturday evening and stayed the night. We all piled up at church Sunday morning then came back to the house for a big lunch. After that some took naps and others went outside for a fun, friendly game of volley ball.
 
I have always loved volley ball. I guess it goes back to my childhood and all the memories of volley ball tournaments that were held by our family and friends during our annual Hog Killing. Yes, you heard me right, I said Hog Killing. It was held annually at my grandparents place usually in February. Hogs would be purchased the week before. Invitations were by word of mouth from family to friends and so on. The day would start around 3am to 3:30am for the men and us super excited children. We would be up at my Papaw's big barn/shop where coffee would have already been made, hot chocolate sat out for us kids. Lights were burning in the barn & outside it lighting up the pre-dawn morning. We would watch as the men killed the hogs, dropped them in a huge vat of boiling water that had a fire built under it, then they would be skinned and butchered. I know those of you who aren't from the south, and some of you who are, are probably cringing right now, but as a kid this day was second only to Christmas.
 
Family would pour in the night before from Georgia and South Florida. Those previously killed hogs would supply sausage and ham for breakfast, the huge thighs would be cooking all day over a large homemade grill to be eaten at lunch and dinner. Games would ensue during the day. Kick ball, volley ball, horseshoes and whatever else the kids and adults felt like doing. The volley ball tournaments kicked off sometime before lunch. After each game the teams would switch court sides. Breaks would be taken for lunch, coffee, soda's or whatever, then eventually we would all find ourselves right back in my Papaw & Memaw's back yard. The day was filled with a hundred or two of our closes friends and family, lots of food, laughter, and fun. As a kid I loved it and my family being who they were, were really patient with us younger ones learning how to play this special game of volley ball.
 
The annual hog killing days have come to a close. I think the last one we had was probably about ten years ago, but I was reminded of all that fun yesterday as my kids, parents, hubby, brother-in-law, and I got out in our yard and played volley ball. Instruction was given to my children and even my little tater was able to get up really really close to the net and try to serve the ball over. My love of volley ball comes from my deep love of my family, and the time spent with my family, and my past. Cherish every second you have with your family, because time flies by so fast. Before long you are looking back on all those memories instead of living them. Be sure to take each one in as they come so that you can remember and smile like I am doing this morning.
 
 
 
 

FantasticallyAverage

 
Now last week I set some goals for myself, lets see how it all went shall we?
 
 
Last Week's Goals
 
1.Create brochures for the Power Up Rally
Wow second week in a row that I haven't even been able to look at the brochure layout
 
2.Drink more water this week.
This is half and half, I drank some, but nowhere near enough
 
3.Wash all the kids clothes, fold them, and put them up
Success! I actually did this! Yay for me!
 
4.Try again to clean off the back porch
Haha funny...I didn't even get to thin about it last week...again
 
5.Pick up dresser and wardrobe that was given to me
Again with the failure...gah
 
I guess 1 1/2 completion isn't too bad right? You can lie to me...its okay, today only haha.
 
 
This Week's Goals
 
1. Don't laugh, but I am going to get those brochures started, I PROMISE!
 
2. Take the kids to do something fun on their spring break
 
3. Try to go walking/jogging at least twice this week
 
4. Make those knitted coasters I've been thinking about doing for a while
 
5. Drop those clothes that's been riding in my car for a few weeks new at the dry cleaners
 
What are your goals for the week? Do you have a favorite childhood memory?


No comments:

Post a Comment