Monday, November 19, 2012

Tutu's and Camouflage...and a few other things

The weather outside today is beautiful and although today is Monday, and I've had to deal with a few crazy old tenants that want to rant and rave, and I would rather not be at work, its been a great day so far! My kids are off school all week. Unfortunately, I am not off of work all week, but I am thankful to have a job where I can bring my kids with me. So today while managing crazy old people, I'm also keeping tabs on my three wonderful kiddos. My son Luke is 11, Lauren is 9, and Layla is 5 and so far I have a great relationship with all three. They are great kids, no really, I'm not just being biased I'm being totally honest.

For lunch Luke packed us sandwhiches and Lauren was forceful about using her $5 to buy us all large $1 drinks from Mickey Dee's (Mcdonal's for those of you who don't know lol). I took them to the park near my work and we spent it outside eating and laughing. My kids are hilarious, they each have their own different personalities and sense of humor. I've learned that its the small things from your childhood that stick out when your an adult, yes you remember big things, but you also remember things like lunches at the park, or waiting at the end of the driveway for your daddy to come home in his work van just so you can hang on the ladder rack and ride the rest of the way back up the drive (which is what me & my siblings done when we were little). The stressfree times have been few and far between but I have to say that lunch today with my kids was one of those times. I'm blessed to have them in my life though sometimes they make me want to pull my hair out.

 
 
 
Now onto the topic of tutu's and camouflage. My daughter Lauren is in ballet, and they put on a production of the Nutcracker every year and this year she gets to be in it! Saturday was the photoshoot for it and what I seen there made me smile.
 
Now as you know, or maybe you don't know, I live in a small town with literally one, count it, ONE red light. I wasn't born there, my hubby was raised there and for a while I swore I wouldn't move there, but I did and I absolutely love it. I like knowing people and that small town feel, how everyone seems close even if they aren't. I like my kid's school and knowing most everyone that works there after a year of them attending. I like that I know each of the kids names from my son's 6th grade honors chorus. I like Friday night football games, and rivalries between neighboring towns, and when you go you see people you know. Most of all I love how southern small towns produce southern girls.
 
Lauren as a solider (minus her hat lol)
    
   Lauren as one of Mother Gingers children
At this photoshoot there was tights, ballet slippers, costumes, makeup...and camouflage? yes, camouflage. You see in the south I feel as if we raise girls with a great balance between being a girly girl and being country. This is the kind of place where girls can wear tutu's and point shoes, then cover it up with a camo jacket, their initials stitched into a camo bag, and they came to practice in a pick-up truck. I'm not trying to be all Southern Pride, but maybe I kind of am. You see I love being from the south. I am a woman who loves makeup and high heels, yet loves horses and doesn't mind getting dirty to work in the yard. I love the Browning brand, though I don't hunt because I can't really sit still for hours. My daughters love dresses, sparkly shoes, jeans, boots, horses, playing outside, and rolling around in piles of hay. The girls from the south can dance in point shoes and run barrells, or be glitz & glam then go muddin on four wheelers. You gotta love the south, and the well balanced girls we turn out. I happen to love it, I love that these girls can be themselves, even if that mixes tutu's and camouflage.
 
Lauren & Layla playing in the hay
 
 
Be blessed ya'll, and stay true to yourself...no matter where ya'll are from! 

2 comments:

  1. I'm an emotional wreck! LOL. I totally teared up when you mentioned waiting at the end of the drive for daddy to get home so we could hang onto the lader and ride back. I can't beliee how grown your kids are and honestly everytime I think about it I nearly burst into tears LOL. I mean my little elf ears is all grown up and doing shows in front of people! OMG IMMA CRY! haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you cry at the drop of a hat lately, but yes it is very sad that my kiddos are growing so fast. I still can't believe how grown and independent Luke is now. Good gravy!

      Delete