Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Day 10 - Sugar Cookies

December 10th:
I had on my calendar that Monday night was cookie making night! Now the kids and I make sugar cookies every year, but I can't remember making them homemade from scratch until this year. I found a recipe on pinterest that you can find here. I thought, hey I have everything I need! About the time that I get the butter & sugar creamed and I'm sifting flour I realize that I have absolutely no salt. I had used every bit of it the previous night making play dough!
My hubby, darling man that he is, runs up to the dollar store and picks us up some salt.
Instead of using the icing that you can buy specifically for sugar cookies I purchased just plain ole white cake icing and added food coloring. Dad manned the rolling & supervised the cookie cutting and I mostly took over the baking & clean up and boy was there a lot of clean up to be done.
 
 
Luke's decorated cookie
Lukes candy cane cookie

Layla's decorated cookie


Some of the finished ones
Just some of the mess that I had to clean up

 
 
 
The cookie making business is a tiring one I'll tell you that, but it's also a super fun one. Just remember clean up from these kinds of cookie messes include sweeping & mopping the entire kitchen/dining room floors. By the way I was so excited that my cookies actually held their shape this year instead of rising and spreading! I've never had cookies that actually looked just like they did before I cooked them. If you want to know what I did just ask! I surely don't mind sharing since someone shared these tips with me!

5 comments:

  1. Super fun! Love it! Umm... is there cookies left for me? lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Umm yes silly goose. We had a ton of cookies though the kids did take some to school today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. THOSE COOKIES LOOK AMAZING!! Darrell is getting so skinny he needs to eat the whole tray ;) Love ya'll

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG I know he makes me sick! he's just dropped weight like it's nothing! I apparently need to work a night shift so I can lose weight too haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, that is what is crazy most people gain weight on night shift!

      Delete